Book Review: Jack Frost by Christopher Greyson




Jack Frost

Author: Christopher Greyson
Genre: Mystery/suspense
Publisher: Greyson Media
Publication Date: April 18, 2018
Rating: 4 stars

Goodreads Amazon

Summary:     Jack has a new assignment: to investigate the suspicious death of a soundman on the hit TV show Planet Survival. Jack goes undercover as a security agent where the show is filming on nearby Mount Minuit. Soon trapped on the treacherous peak by a blizzard, a mysterious killer continues to stalk the cast and crew of Planet Survival. What started out as a game is now a deadly competition for survival. As the temperature drops and the body count rises, what will get them first? The mountain or the killer?


Review: I am a big ol' sucker for anything to do with natural disasters, especially plots where people get stranded somewhere with no escape from the weather. Which this book gave me in spades. I hadn't read anything else by Greyson, and this is the fifth book in the Jack Stratton series, but that didn't hold me back too much. Greyson gives enough small backstory to get me used to the characters and their history. I'll admit I skipped over all the chapters regarding Alice, Jack's fiance, looking for the killer of her dead parents, because frankly no one was dying on a mountain and I didn't care.

But PLENTY of people die on the mountain in this book. The writing was fast paced enough to keep me engaged for long periods of time. The story bounces back and forth between Jack and his snowy/deathy fun times on the mountain, and Alice, who is doing the at-home research, as well as researching her aforementioned dead parents. Her I didn't care about as much but I was TOTALLY HERE for their sassy landlady who was a Planet Survival fanatic and baked endless cookies. She can move into my building at any time.

Let's talk gore level. There wasn't a whole lot, which is surprising considering the number of people who bite it in this book. A lot of the deaths happen "off camera", but that's not to say there isn't a lot of toe curling and edge of your seat goodness that happens in this book either. I was definitely engaged in finding out what was going to happen next. I might have been more invested had I followed Alice and Jack through the previous five books, but they didn't take place on clifftops, so that's probably not gonna happen. 

Overall, I gave it four stars. Was it mind-blowing? No. It was entertaining. Kind of popcorny, but that is why I picked it up, so I'm pleased. I'd say check it out if you want a fast, entertaining read. 

Quick disclaimer: I got this book as a free e-arc from Net Galley in exchange for my rad and honest review, so thanks, Net Galley, for fueling my book habit. You guys are the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid