Oh No! A Reading Slump!



Yeah, I'm in a reading slump....but I'm gonna share with you ways I've been trying to get out of it!

When you are in a reading slump, it can seem impossible to get out of it. You're too busy at work to really get into a book when you get home, or chores get in the way. In my case, I almost feel as if reading is somehow lazier than anything else because I'm sitting down, not moving and just focused on the book. Why this translates to laziness to me is still not clear, because I also watch a lot of television.

I'm trying to change the way I think about reading. Our world is so quickly moving, it can be hard to stop and concentrate on just a book.  That I think, is the root of the problem I am having.

Here are some tips I am working to use for myself to become a more involved reader again.

Read one book at a time
I have several books going at once (don't do this). If you can't concentrate one book, don't fall into the trap of starting another, unless you plan to finish the other one and come back to the original book.

Read a Romance novel
Yes! These books have plot, but also lots of sexy parts to stimulate your brain into having more fun reading! I recommend reading a romance novel if you're in a slump because they are usually very fun to read, create vivid imagery, and have a formula. Most romance novels have between 2 1/2 and 5 really great sex scenes in them. If you aren't into the plot, you can skip to these bits and still have fun with the book. This is harder to do with other genres, since they are so varied.

Read a Middle-grade fiction
Yeah, I'm biased, but middle-grade fiction is always really intriguing and focuses on children finding their way in the world, usually with the help of others. They are often inspiring books, and have so much variation in them that you can pick anything and it reads quickly, and has a plot that will keep you involved.

Try a Graphic Novel or a Zine
There are so many independent artists out their fighting to get their zines out into the world. Go to a local zine festival or your local library to find a zine to read. If your library doesn't have zines, ask them to curate a collection. Zines often are telling stories that you won't see in poplar graphics or at the book store. Things like trans daily life, plant moms dating, and dinosaur witches living on the subway. The stuff you only dream of seeing in the big book shops (check your local shops!)

Graphic novels are awesome too, because they engage the brain differently than a heavy tome like Tolkien or Lovecraft. Imagery is translated for you so you can feel like your watching a movie instead of using your whole brain to make up what everybody looks like in the story. It gives your brain a chance to focus more on the emotion depicted, and most graphic novels are full unique in style, so who doesn't love that!?

Just TAKE A BREAK
If you're having that much trouble reading, just take a break from it. Do something else that is analog, like gardening, a tarot reading, a jigsaw puzzle, taking a walk, or making some art. It's okay to step away from a book, or even just stop reading it if you're not feeling it.

That's all for now.
-WhaleSnark




Comments

  1. I am late in seeing this, but I really needed to see it! I fell into a slump around CON time and I am slowly crawling out of it. But its great to be reminded that it's not a failing, it's just a state of being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some excellent advice - I shall have to remember to pass it along whenever friends are in a reading slump, and remember to take it myself when I am in a reading slump.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Things to Read During Quarantine