Book Review: Artemis - Andy Weir

When Andy Weir's first novel, The Martian, came out, I devoured it like a heaping piece of cake. Weir has an excellent sense of voice, good pacing and drama, but most importantly, he gets the SCIENCE behind science fiction without it getting too bogged down or boring.

My brain is not made to understand complex science things. I wish it were. I find science fascinating!
But man, it's hard for me to understand.
Weir makes it easy for me to understand the science in his books.

But we aren't here to talk about The Martian. (Although if you haven't read it, go read it right now. It's great.)
We are here to talk about his second novel, Artemis.

The Recap: Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.

My thoughts: First off, I listened to this rather than read it with my eyeballs, because I'd been told it was an excellent audiobook. The narrator is fabulous actress Rosario Dawson, so yes, OF COURSE the narration is going to be excellent. Jazz Bashara was such a fun character! She was sassy, and smart, and the kind of person who I would want to go have drinks with, even though she was way cooler than me.  Weir built not only a great main character, but a great cast of supporting characters who all help Jazz on her antics. 

Though I know next to nothing about the moon, space, or the science behind all that, Weir made it interesting and easy enough for me to feel smart while reading it. The science definitely doesn't bog down the novel.

Also the setting? FANTASTIC. Possibly the coolest part of the whole book. A city on the moon! But not the ideal utopia so often portrayed. This city was fleshed out in all it's good and bad, and there were lots of cool details Weir added to make daily life seem, well, normal! 

I highly recommend this book to anyone who: loved the Martian, loves Rosario Dawson's beautiful voice, longs to live on the moon, enjoys a funny and good science fiction book, or wants to watch a great lady kick ass.

Much love,
Lady Peekaboo 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid