Book Chat: Amanda's 2019 Superlative Awards!






I was tagged by Elley @ ElleyOtter for these awesome high school superlatives book awards, created by Amanda @ Classy X Book Reviews.
Here goes nothin'.

Best All Around: You’re number one favorite book of the year.

The Terror - Dan Simmons

This was really hard. I've read a TON of great books this year! But I decided to go with The Terror because I was compelled to continue reading it even though it was nearly 800 pages, and it was my most recommended book of the year.  It was horrifying, beautifully written, engaging as hell, a non-stop and at times poignant look at both humanity and the supernatural. 

Biggest Flirt: Newest or favorite book boyfriend/girlfriend of 2019.

Kincaid from The Mech Who Loved Me by Bec McMaster.
An troubled but sass-mouthed rogue with (probably) tons of guyliner, a metal hand, and a heart of gold. Dreamy.

Class Clown: Sillest/most goofy/funniest book of 2019

Spider-man: Far From Home: Pete and Ned's Ultimate Travel Journal  by Preeti Chhibber

This adorable middle grade tie-in novel to the film had such a cute epistolary style, back and forth between Peter and Ned, with interjections from MJ, as well as cute illustrations. I really enjoyed it, and I haven't even seen the film.

Cutest Couple: Favorite bookish couple of the year. 

Robin Elacott and Cormoran Strike from the Lethal White by Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling

Lethal White  is book 4 in the Cormoran Strike series, and definitely not a romance, but the two main characters, Robin and Cormoran, have had a wonderfully developing friendship, and in the last bits of book 3, and into book 4, they are starting to experience FEELINGS. And it's a god damn delight. I've just listened to it for the 2nd time, and I may start on round 3 soon.

Most Likely to Succeed: Mosted hyped book you read in 2019. 

The Unhoneymooners - Christina Lauren

I don't know if this book was super hyped? I don't tend to read too many really hyped books. I feel like anything written by Christa Lauren gets a lot of positive press and is mostly really good (as this was) so I'm counting it.

Best Celebrity Lookalike: Favorite book based off of another story (fairytale/mythological/classics, etc.)

Winter Tide - Ruthanna Emrys

This wonderful fantasy novel (which also fits my Beat the Backlist criteria, thank fuck) is set in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythoss. Since I am a fan of the mythos, but not of Lovecraft's writing style, this was a great alternative for me! Plus strong female character, MCs of color, people kicking ass, and eldritch dieties. What's not to love?

Best Dressed: Most appealing book cover of the year.

Black Spire - Delilah Dawson

It's a Star Wars book, so they can afford good art. But really, the rebellious profile of our main character (with the cute blue streak in her hair!) (it's a wig), backed by a gorgeously rendered sci fi city? Love it so much.

Tallest & Shortest: Share the longest & the shortest books you read this year. 

Shortest: Feminist Baby! He's a feminist too! by Loryn  Brandz (22 pages)
Longest: The Terror by Dan Simmons (769 pages)

Best Clique: Share your favorite friend squad you read about.

Do the crew of the Voyager count? I've read like five Star Trek Voyager novels this year. My favorite was Marooned by Christie Golden.

Most Likely to Survive the Hunger Games: Share the character(s) you read about this year that you think would do well in the world of the Hunger Games. 

My money is on Olivia from Alien: Echo by Mira Grant. She survived a planet full of xenomorphs. Flashy teenagers would be no problem for her. 


Best/Worst Plot Twist: What did you read that had a really great or really horrible plot twist?

The Abominable by Dan Simmons.
 I was hoping for yeti. What I got was not quite as cool, but the reasoning behind it was horrifying and unexpected.

Series: Best/worst second or concluding book in a series. 

Some Like It Scandalous by Maya Rodale

Book two in the Gilded Age Girl's Club series. An absolute delight of a book. Loved it far more than book 1. 

Most likely to become a classic: What book has the potential to become a modern classic?

A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh should be on everyone's to-read list if you are into thrillers or mysteries.

I am going to tag my fellow tank Bookquarium swimmer WhaleSnark!  
But feel free to add your own picks in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Things to Read During Quarantine

Oh No! A Reading Slump!