#CurrentlyReading

Sometimes, I think fondly back on the days when I would say with an air of authority "Oh, I would NEVER read more than one book at a time!"
Yeah, sure, tiny high school Ariel. Good luck with that.
Now, because of library timing, and life timing, and interest level, and a whole slew of other things, I have several books going at the moment. Usually, they are of different genres. Sometimes, they are the same. (That last one can get confusing, especially if I'm reading two regency romances at the same time, with similar heroines, similar heroes, and similar plot tropes.)

Here is a status report of what is on my currently reading shelf, and what my thoughts on the subject/

44526650. sy475 Crisis in the Red Zone - Richard Preston

Yup, still reading this one. It's dense, and it's intense, and it's so, so very good. But holy shit, it's bloody. I am about at the 50% mark, and Preston is really dropping us headfirst into the gore and heartbreak of Ebola. I still would recommend to anyone who is into nonfiction or diseases, but damn, not for the faint of heart.







The Princess Beard: The Tales of PellThe Princess Beard: Tales Of Pell - Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne

This book is bananapants and beautiful! Book 3 in the trilogy, and it just came out recently. It's a new set of characters from the last two books, although brief mention is made of past characters occasionally, but it can be read as a standalone. I equate this book to falling down a set of stairs, but they are the best stairs you've ever seen, and you're so glad you slipped. This is not a book to be rushed. It is to be savored, because every page is beautifully crafted with as many puns as they can conceivably fit into print.



Hellstrom's HiveHellstrom's Hive - Frank Herbert

This book is fucking weird, you guys. My friend Katherine and I are on a "read all the Frank Herbert books that aren't the Dune series" kick right now, and this is the 2nd one we've read, and it's just weird. I can't totally piece together what's going on. There is a group of people who are part of an ant-like hive? And a government agency trying to figure what the hive is all about? Someone is making a documentary about insects? I am at the 60% mark, and I will finish it, but I feel like it hasn't really gripped me. 






The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite PlanetThe Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet - Neil deGrasse Tyson

And finally we come to my current audiobook selection. Literally started this one last night while doing the dishes. Tyson doesn't narrate, as he does some of his other books, which is a shame because he has an excellent speaking voice. I am one of those people who steadfastly refuse to sing the planets song without including Pluto, and yes, it will always be a planet to me, and bite me. I am enjoying it though. An interesting and quick read.






What is on your currently reading piles, friends?

-Peekaboo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Things to Read During Quarantine

Oh No! A Reading Slump!