#RomBkLove Day 2: Betas

You know how sometimes you get so super excited about something, you forget to stop and check if it's actually correct? Well, I posted the wrong calendar for #RomBkLove yesterday. Namely, I posted last year's. To your left, you will see THIS year's. Back on the same page again? Okay. Perfect.

Let's talk about beta heroes.
THIS IS MY FAVORITE, GUYS.
I am 100% not a fan of the "alpha-hole" trope, and just want nice guys in romance novels who aren't going to pull the whole "you are my property" or "I want to plow into your vagina like Wreck-It-Ralph" or "watch me rage-brood."

 I just want a nice guy. Someone who is funny and sweet. Someone who will be on equal footing with our heroine (or other hero) rather than towering over them like a giant slab of beef.

I have found far fewer of these than I'd like, but Goodreads does have a good list to start with, if you are interested.



So where do we start in our journey through beta-hero-hood?
Try Courtney Milan's "Brothers Sinister" series.
The first one is The Duchess War. 
I first found this one on one of those Book Bub free book emails, and it sat on my digital TBR for ages until the Smart Bitches whispered about a book in which someone stages a seduction using the scientific method. (That would be book 3 in this series, called "The Countess Conspiracy".) Honestly though, I loved them all, and all the heroes in the series are nice.
Which is not to say they are pushovers, or lame, or un-amazing in anyway. They just don't have the  macho attitude that a lot of romance heroes take on, which tends to drive me nuts.

Follow-up: It occurred to me half way through writing this post that when they said "betas" they may have meant "beta readers" and not "beta heroes", but I'm gonna stick to my heroes, with the comment that beta readers are amazing and you should award them with cookies and/or cash.

Are you a fan of beta heroes? Let me know in the comments, and tell me your favorites!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling