#Blogoween: Halloween Creatures!!

It's the MOST wonderful time of the year! That's right! It's Halloween season!!
(Which goes from Oct 1-Oct 31, but hey, why not start a little earlier? My decs went up in September.)

One of our fellow tank dwellers, the lovely Elley Otter over at her personal book blog, challenged me to do this as part of #blogoween. It's a month-long event hosted by several different bloggers, specifically celebrating the greatest holiday this world has ever known. (More info here!)
So here goes!!

Witch: a magical character or book

Image result for harry potter and the sorcerer's stone coverHow can I not give a shoutout to my very favorite magic users of all time, the good folks at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? I went through lists of witch books, and kept coming back to all the badass ladies of the Harry Potter universe, and how deeply I loved them. 









Werewolf: a perfect book to read at night

Image result for demon haunted worldDemon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan is all about how science gives us hope in a world full of scary shit. It deals with things like aliens, demons, and how science is making enormous leaps to disprove things and show us the truth in a very dark place. I have been reading it at night lately, and it gives me a good note to fall asleep to.








Frankenstein: a book that truly shocked you

 I don't really get shocked by books. Sometimes thrillers have that twist at the end that makes you go oooooooh. For me, one such book was The  Next Mrs Parish by Liv Constantine. It's a hard read, emotionally, but I remember laying in my friend's bed, reading it and going "Oh my Gooooooood". But like, trigger warnings. Lots of them. 

Zombie: a book that made you "hungry" for more

Killing two zombie birds with one stone here, I'll go with World War Z by Max Brooks. It's an oral history of the zombie outbreak (later made into a completely different but still good film starring Brad Pitt.) It was so fantastic. It was told in different people's accounts, interview and journal style, and I wanted to know more about every single person. That book have been 500 more pages, and I'd be happy. 

Gargoyle: a character you would protect at all costs

A Place for PlutoPluto (yes, the planet) from the picture book A Place for Pluto.
 I grew up with the knowledge that Pluto was a full sized planet, and not just a planetoid, and this book not only brought me around to the idea that maybe planetoid is okay, but it also made me want to give Pluto a ginormous hug. (Which is a bad idea, since Pluto is very cold. Also very far away.)









Vampire: a book that sucks all the life out of you

Uh yeah, concurring with Elley's Grapes of Wrath, because that book was boring af. The only interesting part was the turtle crossing the road, and even that had to be sullied by metaphor. Sorry, literary fiction lovers. 

Ghost: a book that still haunts you

Defenders of the Dead, book 5 in the Jedi Apprentice series by Jude Watson, which I was obsessed with as a kid, remains the most emotionally reactive I have ever gotten over a book, and that includes the final book of Harry Potter. Whenever I listen to the song I was listening to when I was reading it the first time, I am smacked with a wave of emotional and memory. It's kinda freaky. 

Image result for the troop coverDemon: a book that really scared you

Anything by Nick Cutter. But especially The Troop. It was disgusting and visceral and really scary, and every once in a while, scenes from that book pop into my head. Definitely read if you like scary things. Do not read if you get grossed out by things easily, or have issues with demon children. 







Skeleton: a character you have a bone to pick with


Honestly, I got nothing for this one, guys. What character do YOU have a bone to pick with?

Creepy Doll: a cover too scary to look at

 Haven't read this book yet, and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I will (although by all accounts it's FANTASTIC), but the art on this cover is just gorgeous and creepy and ugggh yes please. I love horror art. 










Mummy: a book you'd preserve through time

My all time favorite book, the one I got back to again and again, Every Boy's Got One  by Meg Cabot.  Is it a great literary masterpiece?  No. But it's flipping adorable, and it's got cute cat drawings in it.

Offically, I am going to tag WhaleSnark, my beloved compatriot!! Unofficially, feel free to drop your own little montser recs into the comments, and let's get this holiday started out right! 

~Peekaboo








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Things to Read During Quarantine