Bookish Rants: Douchebag heroes

I just checked out How To Date a Douchebag: The Studying Hours by Sarah Ney.
By the very title, I figured out the hero would be a douche.
Hello.
Reading 7% of this book I have discovered what I should have frankly already known: I HATE DOUCHEY HEROES. SIT THE FUCK DOWN.

Here's what I do love: the reformed bad boy. The "he was kind of a dick, but then she loved him and he became a good guy." What I love even more is the "I don't like you and you don't like me, but we need to help each other, and eventually we fall in love" schtick, which this book was also supposed to have. And maybe it does a good job. (I doubt it.)

Because I honestly could not get past the part where the MC and his friends considered women little more than holes to be fucked, and talked about entirely in outdated female stereotypes. What made me through my Kindle on the bed in a huff was when one of the dudebros went "she's a DUFF!" (i.e. Designated Ugly Fat Friend - it's shitty and completely fucked up, I know) and the other one went "nah, bro, she's not fat!"

Go fu-hu-huuuuuck yourself, every single man in this book.
Also the opening scene was him completely disrespecting every no she said, and then her kissing him to win them both money, and then afterwards they both fucked off to their opposite dorm rooms and masturbated to visions of each other. I am very pro-masturbation, but this scene just felt gross to me. Super duper gross, and like girl no, don't let you time get tainted by that fucknozzle. Just don't do it.
So we went from "he doesn't respect her multiple no's" to "random mutual masturbation scene" to "let's insult women some more, especially fat ones, AND LIBRARIANS, FUCK YOU VERY MUCH."

AND two of the MC's friends literally said "man, when she kissed you yesterday, that was super hot, I thought about it and jacked off last night."
His friends! Jacked off thinking about him and another woman kissing! I hate kink-shaming, but also I THINK THAT'S WEIRD. Is that normal? Is that what people do when they see their friend getting kissed by a hot person?

I didn't finish it, guys. After the fat DUFF comment, I immediately returned it on KU and ran to my laptop to write this rant because I got so angry. It might get better. I highly doubt it.

Instead of reading this garbage fire of anti-female rhetoric, try instead The Deal by Elle Kennedy. Similar concept of lady helps jock with homework in exchange for something, and they end up falling in love, but it's so much better! And it's sex positive! And while the hero is a bit prickly at first, and definitely cocky, he's not a raging puss nugget like Oz in How To Date A Douchebag.
Also his name is Oz Osbourn. Get the fuck out.

Time to go re-read The Deal and calm my rapidly fraying nerves.
Peace.



Comments

  1. Your ranting is excellent and right on point. These storylines always make me seething because I feel like the male love interest is being rewarded for his assholic ways with sex, and he doesn't deserve any. Bless you for reading all the way to 7%. I love how your reviews always sound exactly like you talking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Things to Read During Quarantine