24in48 lightning reviews.



After completing my first 24in48 weekend, I am here to tell you – I super duper enjoyed it, folks.  I hosted this time, and managed to get my house clean-ish (as opposed to “wtf happened in here?” which it normally is – Elley was very nice about it being messy.) It being the two of us for the most part, and since it was well below zero, we decided to skip swimming at the YMCA and instead just do more reading.
I read a TON. More than I did at last Dewey’s Readathon, I think. I liked this format a lot better two. Two days to read, but it’s more spread out and therefore more relaxed. (I don’t feel guilty if I take a few hours to go out to eat, or you know, sleep.) Plus they had challenges for Instagram and Twitter every couple of hours, which I enjoyed participating in.
But I know, I know, get to them book reviews, girl. What did I read?

Book two in the “Tales of Pell” series, this featured different characters than Kill the Farm Boy (book 1), but maintained all the charm and humor. If anything, I liked these characters more. A few old ones made appearances. The puns runneth over, and Old Gnomes proves that the “Tales of Pell” series is a delightful edition to any fantasy bookshelf. (Plus it’s a happy read for when things (see: the country) turn to shit.)
4 out of 5 charming stars

(Note: I was already half way through this one when readathon started.)

I picked this one up because of my love of natural disasters. Unfortunately the fire is basically out by the time the book gets into full swing. Still, it was an interesting historical mystery, which tied itself very well into the time period (1666), good characterization, and a decent twist. It’s the first of a series, but I may not pick up the second one right away. (I was half way done with this one too. I spent readathon knocking shit off my “currently reading” pile.

3 out of 5 slightly smoking stars.

I picked this one up purely because the cover was fantastic, and it was all about surviving in a hostile environment. And I picked a winner! It definitely leans heavy on the horror side of science fiction, with a good cast of characters, and an interesting premise. Think Firefly on a deserted colony planet. I just got book 2 (Abandoned) in from the library, and I’m excited to start it this weekend. (Read this one in it’s entirety)

5 out of 5 vine-covered stars.

As with most of my books I pick up these days, this one was a recommendation from Elley. She’d gotten the third book as an arc, LOVED IT, and recommended the other two. Bound for Sin is book 2. This was probably my least favorite book of the trilogy, but that being said it was still a damn good romance. One part made me gasp out loud. You don’t necessarily have to read book 1 to read 2, or 2 to read 3, but DEFINITELY read 3, Bound for Temptation because it’s AMAZEBALLS. (I was half way through this too.)
3 out of 5 trail-worn stars.
And the final book…

Definitely the best book in the trilogy. 110%. Run, don’t walk, to your local book dealer of choice and read it immediately. It has whores dressed as nuns, a lovelorn cowboy, honest and open discussion about sexual violence, and it just bubbled up with happiness and love.
5 out of 5 shiny and bright neon signs.



So there we go! That was my readathon weekend. Since then, I started playing Elder Scrolls Online and haven’t hardly touched a book, but I will get back to chipping at my TBR soon.
What did you all read this weekend?
Love,
Lady Peekaboo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Things to Read During Quarantine