Book Review: Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter

Do you remember those movies on the Disney channel (back in the day when it was good) and ABC's TGIF, when they'd show things that weren't necessarily great, but really fun to watch? Like My Date with the President's Daughter and Still Life starring a pre-Top Model Tyra Banks? This book felt a lot like those.

Not If I Save You First is the fast paced and funny story of Maddie, daughter of the top secret service officer, and (former) best friend of the president's son, Logan. Six years ago something happened that made her dad quit his job and move them to the wilds of Alaska, leaving behind her best friend who then cut all contact.

First, Maddie is the kind of sassy I wish I was. The kind of sassy I am in my head when I think of snappy comebacks four hours after I was insulted. At times, it veered into unrealistic, but it fit well into the story. She has spent much of the last six years fending for herself, bedazzling axe handles and making sure her hair routine is as on point as her survival skills. (Can we pause for a moment and talk about how much I both loved and hated that she bedazzled her axe handle? On the one hand, yasss gurl, bedazzle everything! On the other, once you bedazzle it, the grip gets all wonky, and it becomes kind of useless.)

Enter Logan, the boy she now hates with a passion because he never wrote her back after she moved to Alaska. (Newsflash: he grew up and got super hot in six years.) He is sent there to keep him out of trouble, but trouble finds them in the form of a Russian assassin who tries to take him hostage.

Hilarity and excitement ensue!

This would translate very well to screen, I think, it's a wonderful friends to (sort of enemies to) lovers story, with danger aplenty, but since it's YA, it's tapered down somewhat from reality. It was also devour-able in a night. It's like peanut M&Ms. Reach out and grab a handful. Eat too many. You know you want to.

Love ya,
Lady P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid