Lightning reviews

I've read some really excellent things lately, but haven't been in a "let's write a huge review about them" mood, so I thought I'd do some lightning reviews for just because.
Here goes!!

The Wallflower Wager - Tessa Dare

Pub date: August 13, 2019

My thoughts: Every time Tessa Dare writes a new book I think " it CAN'T be as good as her other books, right?" And every time, it just gets better. Penny and Gabe were an absolute delight to read about, start to finish. There were a few points where I pointedly stared at the page and went "really, Gabe? REALLY?" But Penny immediately pulled me back in. I cackled out loud on a public beach while reading this book. Love love loved it. 5 Stars.







Pandemic: by AG Riddle

AG Riddle is one of those authors that I think does extremely well because of the Dan Brown effect.
Pretty good writing, very engaging plot, kinda meh characters, but who cares because it's exciting. This is the second AG Riddle I've tried to get into, and decided to DNF this one (although at 60%, which is better than my last one) because, to be honest, it didn't have enough "people dying of plague" in it. The beginning of the book was great for that, but then it turned into a mystery/secret organization intrigue book, and while it was very well written, it's just not what I'm in the mood for right now. I'm giving it 3 stars. Pretty good, nothing outstanding. 





Some Like It Scandalous - Maya Rodale

Some Like It Scandalous (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #2)I'd never read her before but oh, I am so glad I did! I got this ARC right after it was presented at the Avon KissCon breakfast last year, and it was delightful. It's an enemies to lovers, fake relationship, with a STEM heroine, and a hero who starts off very foppish and then comes into his own in the most delightful way.  It also gets 5 shiny stars because it made me grin like an idiot. It's the second in the Gilded Age Girls Club series, and I immediately checked out the first to read.






Snowball - Gregory Bastianelli

SnowballI picked this one up on a whim, because it was in the "new horror" bucket on Net Galley, and I was in the mood for a horror. Plus, it's a "we're all trapped in a snowstorm!" setting, which you know is my jam. This book was super weird, in a wonderful way. It sort of had a Krampus feel, that idea of being trapped, but not knowing completely why. There are definitely some really bloody, and gross scenes in this one so be warned, if you're squeamish, it may not be for you. It had a big(ish) cast of characters, and I enjoyed learned about all of them. Definitely a recommend for horror fans. I gave this one five stars for it's creepy enjoyableness.  




That's all for now. Up next, I've got the latest Richard Preston novel about Ebola (yesssss), and an arc for a cool scifi called Cry Pilot.  What are you reading lately? 

Love ya, L.P. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid