Self care and reading when the world goes to shit.

We had two mass shootings this weekend. Two. First in El Paso. 22 people killed. Then less than 24 hours later, Dayton. 9 people killed. The first one was a crazy white man who wanted to stop the "Hispanic invasion". The second was also a crazy white man whose specific motivations are as yet unclear, but had a hit list and a rape list that he'd made during high school.

My soul mate Haley lives 2 minutes from where the Dayton shooting took place. Thankfully she had the foresight to send me a text saying she and her beautiful family were okay, so that when I woke up to the headline that there'd been a mass shooting near her, I wouldn't freak the fuck out. (I freaked out anyway.)

But this is just our new normal in America, I guess. 255 mass shootings this year. 
I suffer from anxiety and depression on a normal day. I was lucky enough to have my mom with me this weekend when the two shootings took place, and we were able to talk about it, process it together, she made me feel normal. But today when I'm returning to my normal life, back to work at the public library, back to Twitter with it's constant barrage of news (and something about feral hogs??)

You've read about all this from blogs, from the news, from social media. 
So let's take a moment instead to talk about taking care of ourselves when everything seems like a fucking disaster. Because guys, it's tough. It really is. I considered calling into work and spending the day in bed playing games to distract myself. 

Instead, I came in. But that's about as far as I made it. Well, I talked with my co-workers/friends about general life stuff, and being with their positivity was wonderful too.

Other things you (and I!) can do in the wake of everything seeming like utter shit.

1. Reach out. Don't care who to, as long as they are positive. Friends, family, Twitter peeps, co-workers. You aren't alone in this, and sometimes it is good to share your feelings with others.

2. Read a book that makes you happy! For me, that's romance. (And okay, also disaster non-fiction, but I might give that even a wide berth this week.) I want stuff that turns my insides to cotton candy, and makes me go "awww!" and yes, let's me forget even for a few hours about the scary shit going on outside.

3. Get outside and walk around. Or even just go outside and stand in the sunlight for five minutes. Or, if it won't stop raining where you are, walk in circles around the biggest room you can find. Both movement and sunshine are your friends. 

4. Have you drank enough water today? Probably not. I sure haven't. Let me put on my mom voice and remind you to please drink some water. Put flavoring in it if you want. It's all good.

5. Write or record or vlog your thoughts. Get your thoughts out! Don't keep them bottled up. If you don't want to share them with anyone, that's fine! Write it down on the page and then burn the pages. Getting things out even if it's just down onto a piece of paper is so so good for your brain.  (Don't eat them though. Bad for the digestion.) And if you want to share those thoughts with the world? Awesome! Do it! Your thoughts and feelings are valid as fuck, and are worthy of consumption. (Unless you are a racist white supremacist, in which case, not so kindly fuck right off.)

6. Pet an animal. Do you have an animal you can pet? Science says petting animals is good for your health. Or if you don't have an animal handy, pet a fluffy pillow. Or your stomach. Or someone's hair. Soothing repetitive motions are good, people.

What else are YOU doing to take care of yourself? I'd love to hear more suggestions! 
I know it sucks, friends, but I also know we are going to get through this. 

Love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Oh No! A Reading Slump!

Book Review: Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid