For the love of Star wars

I'm not a super hardcore Star Wars fan.
I was, once. I saw Phantom Menace 11 times in theaters, and had a huge crush on the kid who played young Anakin. (I was small, okay? I made poor life choices.)

Now, though, I am getting a little burned out by the constant onslaught of Star Wars and it's practical monopoly on media. (Or should I say Disney?)
But! I still am trying to hang in there and enjoy the media as much as I can, and for me, lately, that means books. Did you know there were Star Wars books? Like, a shit ton of them?

When Disney took control of the Star Wars franchise, they book all the old Star Wars novels (of which there were just buttloads, not all good) and categorized them as "Star Wars: Legends". Then they began releasing new ones to tie in to the new movie trilogy we're coming to the end of.
It is those new books I am currently trying to read.
No shade to the old ones! They're fun! I've read some! But the new ones have something the old ones did not - fucking fabulous audiobook design.

I'm talking full scores, sound effects, amazing narrators who do ALL the voices. It's watching a movie with your ears. I adore them. So today's blog, instead of talking about holiday books (which frankly, I really don't read many of), I'll show you some of my current Star wars bookish favorites.

Thrawn


Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)Thrawn is the hottest guy in the Star Wars universe. Now I know what you're thinking. "What about Han Solo? What about young Lando from the Solo movie?" Nope, sorry. Thrawn has them all beat. And it's because he's the smartest, slickest son of a bitch in the universe. Also, he's blue, with long hair, and glowing red eyes. His character, created by Timothy Zahn, was part of a trilogy in the now "Legends" series, but when the reboot happened, Zahn graciously came back and wrote three new books so we could get Thrawn's character back in action, and I'm hella glad he did.

Thrawn is the only alien who managed to make it to the role of Admiral in the Empire, because he's ridiculously intelligent and an excellent strategist. Also fun fact? He studies art to learn more about his opponents, which is awesome. In true Ariel fashion, I am shipping him and his aid, Vanto, a little bit, but since it's Disney, I know nothing will come of it. Still, the book is really interesting, and I can't wait to read the other two.

Dream casting for Thrawn: Benedict Cumberbatch
Dream casting for Vanto: Alan Tudyk

Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire


Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)This is technically the second Galaxy's Edge book that was released. (Yes, Galaxy's Edge as in the new Star Wars theme park. I want to go so badly!) The first one looks rather shite though, and wasn't written by Delilah S Sawson, so I gave it a pass. Black Spire is the sequel (sort of?) to Phasma. Our two main character, Vi Moradi and Archex were introduced in Phasma, and while they allude to all the shit that went down in that book, you could probably get away with 

This one has a very New Hope feel, I think. Vi is a member of General Leia's resistance, and is sent to a backwater planet to form a new resistance base, along with Archex, the former Storm Trooper-turned good guy (who spent most of the Phasma book torturing her, and is adjusting to life as not a giant asshole.)  The cast of characters in this is delightful, it's got enough action to keep the pages turning, but also lots of heart, which is really what I want in a Star Wars book. (Or any science fiction, really.) 
Also fun fact: The character of Vi Moradi appears in the videos and stuff you see in the theme park! And she's a woman of color! Who I have a massive crush on. This book is a must-read for all Star Wars fans, or just science fiction fans.
Dream casting for Vi: Tessa Thompson
Dream casting for Archex: Luke Evans


 
Have you read any of the Star Wars books, new or old? Tell me your favorites!
Love and space dust,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Pandamonia by Chris Owen and Chris Nixon

Things to Read During Quarantine

Oh No! A Reading Slump!